Not a good season for dryland

The outlook definitely is not promising for most of dryland fields in the region.
Persistently hot and dry weather have left dryland crops struggling to make it to harvest, as well as ravaging pasture land.
There have been a handful of big rain events that has helped in some areas. The Wray area received too much rain at once, anywhere from four to 10 inches in about two hours, a few weeks ago, but the moisture reportedly has helped some fields. The Yuma area received a one-inch rain one week ago that might have helped some.
However, overall it is not looking good, particularly for dryland corn.
One field located at the northeast edge of town was chopped down like silage two weeks ago. Joe Harper, who farmed the plot, which is owned by the City of Yuma, said he had to give it away in order to get rid of it.

The dryland corn field at the northeast edge of Yuma was chopped down two weeks ago. (Pioneer Photo)

Local agronomist Merlin VanDeraa said he estimates probably less than 50 percent of dryland corn fields have any chance, and even those need more rain soon.
However, he said overall it looks like conditions have improved a bit over the last two weeks in Yuma and Washington counties. He estimated that among sunflowers, sorghum and proso millet, about 75 percent maybe have an okay to good chance of making it to harvest, while the other 25 percent have little to no prospect.
Local agronomist Davin Doyle said from what he can tell, prospects for dryland has not improved in recent weeks, and that any rain now is too little, too late for most corn fields. He did say that milo and sorghum are hanging in there, but will have some blank spots.
As of Tuesday, the extended forecast called for high temperatures in the 90s through Saturday, followed by high 80s early next week. The chance for rain ranges from 10 to 20 percent.